A juicy meatloaf from the oven is not difficult. It gets even easier if the side dishes are already baked and even better thanks to the cheese filling.
Minced meat is very popular with young and old because it is so versatile. Whether in the classic tomato and minced meat sauce with spaghetti, on a Turkish pizza or as a filling for delicious zucchini minced ships – minced meat is always a good choice!
Free recipe ideas, food hacks and more are sent to your mailbox every week in the Simply Tasty newsletter. Register now.
The ground beef or pork has crept onto the festive or Sunday tables as a false rabbit, and grandmothers already knew that it is not that easy to conjure up this juicy “hare” out of the cylinder… uhm oven. But thanks to the right ingredients, it is guaranteed to succeed and with vegetables and herbs, a classic meatloaf becomes a Mediterranean delight.
A summery meatloaf with Mediterranean vegetables works like this:
You need these ingredients for a juicy meatloaf from the oven:
- 800 grams of minced meat
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TL Pfeffer
- 1 THE Rosmarin
- 1 TL Thyme
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 TL Senf
- 2 Owner
- 40 g breadcrumbs
- 100 g red pointed peppers, finely diced
- 100 g black olives, sliced
- 100 g carrots, grated
- 80 g sun-dried tomatoes, diced
- 100 g Gouda (in one piece)
- Mediterranean oven vegetables:
- 500 g potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 300 g pointed peppers, cut into large pieces
- 150 g red onions, peeled and quartered
- 50ml olive oil
The preparation is simple:
- For the meatloaf: Knead the minced meat, salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, tomato paste, mustard, eggs, breadcrumbs, pointed peppers, olives, carrots and sun-dried tomatoes well with your hands. Shape the ground beef into two oblong loaves.
- Place a loaf in an oiled casserole dish and top with Gouda in the middle. Place the rest of the minced meat on top and press down well. Shape into an oval meatloaf with wet hands.
- For the Mediterranean oven vegetables: Scatter the potatoes, bell peppers, and red onions around the meatloaf. Drizzle the meatloaf and vegetables with olive oil and salt the vegetables.
- Cook in the oven at 190 °C for about 50 minutes until the minced meat and potatoes are cooked.
- Cut the minced meat into slices and serve with the oven-roasted vegetables.
A Mediterranean meatloaf includes all country groups in the Mediterranean region. If you only want to focus on one country, you can give the meatloaf an Italian touch with mozzarella, basil and pancetta (Italian bacon) and a Greek touch with feta, olives, garlic and aubergines.