Brazil – Argentina: Corona scandal at the Superclasico – game canceled

  • fromAlexander Kaindl

    conclude

When Brazil plays Argentina, all of South America is watching. But the World Cup qualifying game in Sao Paulo took on completely confused trains.

Update from September 6th, 6:29 am: After the interruption of the World Cup qualifier between Brazil and Argentina due to violations of corona regulations (see original notification), the Brazilian Football Association (CBF) regretted the action taken by the health authority Anvisa. One was “absolutely surprised” at the timing of the measure, it said in a message from the CBF based in Rio de Janeiro on Sunday (local time). According to the CBF, the Anvisa could have exercised her office much more appropriately in different moments and days before the game.

Six minutes after the game kicked off in São Paulo, officials from the authority had brought the three professionals playing in England Emiliano Martínez, Cristian Romero and Giovanni Lo Celso off the field. After that, the other Argentine players left the pitch while the Brazilians stayed. The game was then canceled.

Authority orders quarantine for Argentina professionals: three are in the starting eleven

Anvisa had previously ordered quarantine for the four Argentine internationals Martínez and Emiliano Buendía (both Aston Villa) and Lo Celso and Romero (both Tottenham Hotspur). Martinez, Romero and Lo Celso, however, were in the starting line-up. Only Buendía was missing from the squad.

Martínez, Buendía, Lo Celso and Romero had come to Brazil with the Argentine national team from Caracas. Upon entry, the England professionals did not state, according to the Anvisa, that they had been in the United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, South Africa or India in the past 14 days. Foreign travelers who were there during this period are not allowed to enter Brazil due to the corona restrictions.

Brazil – Argentina: World Cup qualifying game suddenly interrupted

Origin message:

Sao Paulo – It is one of the great classics in world football: Brazil against Argentina. On Sunday, September 5th, there was again the biggest duel that the South American Association has to offer. As part of the World Cup qualification, there was a big clash in Sao Paulo.

But: the game suddenly took on completely unexpected features. It had only been a few minutes in the Superclásico de las Américas when several officials took to the pitch. Four Argentines playing in England are said to have previously violated the anti-corona regulations.

It quickly became clear that the targets of the federal police and the state health authority Anvisa were the Argentinians Emiliano Buendia and Emiliano Martinez from Aston Villa and Cristian Romero and Giovani Lo Celso from Tottenham Hotspur. The superstar team Lionel Messi* then went into the cabin closed at first.

“It had to come to this because the Argentine delegation had not followed the Anvisa requirements from the start,” said Antonio Barra Torres from the board of the health authority and continued: “The four players are now being deported from Brazil and because of a number of Violations of sanitary rules are fined. “

Argentina player with incorrect corona information? Classic against Brazil canceled

The health authority Anvisa had already stated before the kick-off that the four England legionaries should have given false information about their travel route. For people from England, however, special corona rules apply in Brazil, including a quarantine of 14 days. Therefore, the players actually had to be quarantined because England is on the red list for pandemic countries in Brazil.

Romero, Lo Celso and Martinez started on Sunday. The superstars Neymar and Messi on the pitch and representatives of both national associations behind the scenes tried to change the authorities’ minds to ensure the game continued. Representatives of the Argentine embassy also made their way to the stadium.

But the efforts were in vain: almost 50 minutes after the incident, the referee Jesus Valenzuela (Venezuela) broke off the game. As the host of the World Cup, the world association FIFA will now decide on the next steps. The Brazilian Selecao, who had not left the pitch during the break, carried out training on the spot after the decision. (akl / sid) * tz.de is an offer from IPPEN.MEDIA

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Pinterest
Pocket
WhatsApp

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.