We have four years on the iPhone SE 2020 had to wait. The original iPhone SE from 2016 was one of the best-selling devices ever and we expect the 2020 version to be a hit as well. There are plenty of people who don’t want the very latest, but just want a good device for a reasonable price. There are even more reasons to choose the iPhone SE and in this article we list them for you. But we are honest enough to list the 10 less good points.
Also view our comparisons:
10 reasons why you want an iPhone SE 2020
Below you can read the main reasons for the iPhone SE compared to the device you are using now. One of the advantages is of course that you benefit from proven technology. People who buy the iPhone SE are not looking for the latest experimental functions or nice gadgets, but for a device that has mastered the basic functions, that functions reliably, is pleasant to use and where the teething troubles are already out. That is exactly what the iPhone SE has to offer: all components have already been tested in previous iPhone versions. Only with the camera has Apple introduced something new, by applying new tricks to be able to take portraits with a single camera. Although that happened (in a slightly different way) with the iPhone XR.
# 1 You pay less and get more
The iPhone SE 2020 costs € 489 and that is relatively low, compared to the prices that Apple normally uses. This was achieved by using existing components that are already in the iPhone 11 and earlier models were used. The design also reverts to an already existing device, the iPhone 8. But at the time of writing, this device is cheaper than the iPhone 8, while it contains newer technology. We do expect providers to offer their current stock of iPhone 8 for lower prices.
# 2 This device is much faster than you are used to
Apple has opted for the A13 processor, the same one in the iPhone 11. Apps start up without a wait, it’s fast enough for applications like augmented reality and you can play games without stuttering and minute-long loading times. The chip is 2.4x faster than that of the first SE.
# 3 Enhanced portrait camera
The latest SE has a 12-megapixel camera. You will also find this in many predecessors, but there are still all kinds of improvements in software. For example, there is now support for the bokeh effect, so you can blur the background. With this you can make beautiful portraits. The feature currently only recognizes people, not pets. Every year improves Apple the cameras in the iPhone, so you can take advantage of all the improvements that have been made in recent years. The camera is also better able to handle light-dark situations thanks to Smart HDR.
# 4 You have a longer battery life
If you are someone with a somewhat older iPhone, you will have noticed that the battery does not perform as well after a year or two. We at iCulture strongly support it have your battery replaced, because with that you have an iPhone that lasts for a few tens. But if you are completely ready with your current device, or Apple offers for you iPhone 4s (or another device) out of support, now is the time to upgrade. Depending on the model you use, you can expect an operating time of up to 4 hours longer.
# 5 You can now charge wirelessly
The iPhone SE has the same housing as the iPhone 8 and the dimensions are the same. However, something has changed: you can use the device wireless charging. So you are no longer tied to a cable, but can use the many wireless chargers that are now in the store. Cheap wireless chargers are available from around ten euros and you can make it as expensive as you want, up to a whopping 150 euros for a dock for your bedside table. A device with wireless charging is not necessary, but it is very easy.
# 6 More choice from storage
With the entry-level models of the iPhone, you often have a choice of two storage variants. Fortunately, with the iPhone SE you can choose three storage formats, with the preference for us being 128GB. That costs only 50 euros extra compared to the entry-level model.
# 7 You can use the internet faster
The iPhone SE 2020 works with Gigabit class 4G and Wi-Fi 6, something you don’t find on the older models. You get up to 6.5 times faster wireless connections via your mobile provider and at home you have up to 2.7 times faster internet traffic via your wireless network.
# 8 You can now fast charge
What has also become faster is charging via a cable. The iPhone SE supports fast charging, but you need an 18-watt charger for this. You can use the power adapter that you have with you iPad or MacBook , possibly replacing the USB-C cable with a cable with a Lightning connection. You may also have them.
# 9 More water resistant than your current device
It used to occur regularly: people dropped their device in the water and then suffered irreparable damage. Fortunately, this is no longer necessary with newer devices and the iPhone SE 2020 is also better organized. It device is waterproof to 1 meter depth. You even have 30 minutes to dive into the water and save your iPhone.
# 10 Dualsim
This is a feature that iPhone users have been waiting for for a long time and has only recently been added. With the dualsim function you can use two SIM cards at the same time: a physical SIM card and also a virtual SIM card from another provider. This way you can be reached both professionally and privately on the same device. Also useful for border residents.
Also read our article about iPhone SE 2020 details that you did not know.
10 reasons why you don’t want an iPhone SE 2020
There are also a number of things you need to know before purchasing. Because there are also a few points that you might not have thought of, or that you find disturbing. We ourselves do not think it is deal breakers, but we think you should take it into consideration.
- Wide screen edges: Apple has now switched to almost borderless screens, so that you have the maximum possible screen within the housing. This is not the case with this device, because the iPhone 8 was used, and it still had fairly large screen edges.
- No new design: Apple uses the design of the iPhone 8. That doesn’t look immediately dated, but it’s good to know that Apple is rumored to introduce a new look to the iPhone 12, with flat sides and without the curves we’ve seen since the iPhone 6 to be used to. An advantage of reusing an existing design is that the iPhone 8 cases simply fit on the new SE.
- The camera is great, but it has limitations: You will probably make a big leap forward with the new camera. But do realize that the single camera cannot work wonders. If you want the very best camera at the moment, you will have to opt for the 11 Pro (Max).
- There is no 5G in it: You may have heard that 2020 would be the year of 5G. Due to the corona crisis, that could shift to next year, but it is good to know that the iPhone SE 2020 cannot yet handle 5G networks. That goes for all, by the way iPhones from this moment.
- No Face ID: The iPhone SE is equipped with a Touch ID fingerprint sensor. That works fine, is safe and is also used on almost all iPads. But you don’t get any Face ID and that means you don’t have any Animoji and use Memoji. In our opinion not a disaster, but something to take into account.
- No U1 chip: Apple has not put a U1 chip in this unit. This is necessary for applications of Ultra Wideband technology, which allows you to pinpoint the location of your device and other U1-chip devices. There are still few applications for it and you may not see the point of it as an SE owner, but it can not be activated later via a software update, as is now known.
- Wireless connections are fast, but not the fastest: The iPhone SE has Wi-Fi 6 and Gigabit class 4G. However, Apple has not pulled out all the stops. You are dealing with a 2 × 2 MIMO antenna system, while the iPhone 11 features a 4 × 4 MIMO antenna system. Both are fine and probably a big improvement on your current device, but could be even faster. Of course, for all those speed improvements (for example, Wi-Fi) you have to have the right ones Wi-Fi 6 router.
- Not a small screen: The 2016 iPhone SE was so popular because it was such a compact device with a small screen. Apple no longer makes iPhones with a 4-inch screen, so you will have to switch to the slightly larger 4.7-inch. Incidentally, you will also find appliances with other manufacturers, which are small and pleasant to use. The real budget devices with Android are often frustrating and of poor quality. With the iPhone SE 2020 you have the housing of a former flagship model, so everything in terms of materials and finish is top.
- The front is always black: The iPhone SE 2020 is the first device with Touch ID, which has a black front in all versions. Even if you buy the white version. That in itself should not be a problem, because many people nowadays use their device in dark mode and then it is as nice if the edges are also black. It is also the case that you can choose from three colors: black, white and red. Most people will choose black; according to our poll from a few days ago. If you want more choice, there is the iPhone 11 or possibly the iPhone XR from a year earlier.
Price and availability
The iPhone SE can be ordered from various shops and providers since Friday 17 April. The first aircraft will be delivered on April 24. You can choose from three colors: white, black and red. You also have a choice of 64GB, 128GB or 256GB storage, with our preference being 128GB. That only costs 50 euros more than the entry-level model and ensures that your device is much more future-proof.
These are the prices of the iPhone SE 2020:
- 64GB: € 489
- 128GB: € 539
- 256GB: € 659
Pre-order iPhone SE 2020 with subscription
also watch our iPhone offers
Pre-order iPhone SE 2020 to be ordered separately (starting price € 489)
You can also contact these shops and providers:
If you buy via one of the links above, you will support iCulture without it costing you anything extra. Thanks in advance!