[단독] They said they had secured 400 semi-severe beds, but couldn’t even get half of them… An executive order that didn’t work

On the afternoon of the 6th, in Hyoja-ro, Jongno-gu, Seoul, officials from a civic group are holding a one-man protest urging to secure beds and manpower at the Corona 19 medical site. yunhap news

A tertiary general hospital in the metropolitan area increased the number of beds for critical patients with COVID-19 by eight and four for semi-critical patients by the weekend. If you add up the 41 intensive care beds that have been operated previously, there are 53 Corona 19 beds. To fulfill the government’s executive order to secure additional beds within a month, 29 more beds had to be created by the 4th, but eventually gave up due to lack of space and manpower. The hospital issued a plan to extend the period, saying, “We need more time to implement the administrative order because we cannot suddenly stop treatment for existing patients other than COVID-19,” and the quarantine authorities approved it.

It is known that a significant number of superior general hospitals in the metropolitan area have delivered a message that they can secure semi-severe beds in mid-January next year or according to an administrative order for similar reasons. This is more than a month later than what the government had said at the time of the executive order last month, “it will take three to four weeks.” The criticism that the most important bedside measures were inadequate could not be avoided. Over the past five weeks (October 31 to December 4), 29 patients with COVID-19 have died while waiting on the hospital bed.

Administrative order Delayed securing of semi-severe beds in the metropolitan area for a month

According to the Ministry of Health and Welfare’s Central Accident Remediation Headquarters on the 6th, there are about 200 semi-severe beds for Corona 19 that can be expanded by the middle of this month in the upper-level general hospitals in the metropolitan area. On the 5th of last month, the central hospital issued an administrative order to 22 tertiary general hospitals in the metropolitan area and announced that it would secure it within four weeks, which is about half of the number of 402 semi-severe beds. It is expected that the remaining 200 will be secured only in the middle of next month.

The reason the expansion of beds was delayed is because hospitals are complaining about difficulties. After the executive order, the hospitals received a plan to expand the beds, which included △minimizing the medical gap for existing non-corona patients, △separating movement lines between corona and non-corona patients, and △ securing additional personnel to take care of corona patients. It is known that the content contained the content that it was necessary, but a month was too tight. “We have no choice but to accept the schedules of hospitals,” said an official from Jungsubon.

On the 5th of last month, the quarantine authorities issued an administrative order to secure 267 semi-severe beds at the superior general hospitals in the metropolitan area, followed by the superior general hospitals in the non-metropolitan area and the national university hospitals on the 24th of last month. As in the case of tertiary general hospitals in the metropolitan area, there are concerns that it is difficult to guarantee that beds will be secured. “Depending on how many non-corona patients there are, there is a possibility that the time to secure beds in non-metropolitan areas will be moved to next year,” said an official from Jungsu-bon.

A medical team moves a patient’s bed from the intensive care unit of Pyeongtaek Bakae Hospital, Gyeonggi Province, on the 6th. Pyeongtaek = Yonhap News

Depletion of hospital beds in non-metropolitan areas following the metropolitan area

The depletion of beds is reaching a critical level. As of 00:00 on the same day, there were 4,325 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, and 727 patients with severe cases in hospital. In the metropolitan area, 982 people have been waiting for more than a day to be assigned to hospital beds. The central hospital is designating an additional base hospital that treats critically ill, semi-severe, and moderately ill patients, one each in Namyangju, Gyeonggi, Gwangjin-gu, Seoul, and Incheon. It is also decided to increase the number of beds in existing base hospitals (Pyeongtaek Bacae Hospital, Osong Bestian Hospital). The plan is to secure 100 beds for critically ill and semi-severe patients.

Even in non-metropolitan areas, people on the waiting list for hospital beds began to appear from last weekend. From 4 people on the last 4 days to 30 people on this day two days later. As of 5 pm on the 5th, there were no intensive care beds available for hospitalization in the Gangwon area, and only one each in Gyeongbuk and Sejong, and two each in Chungbuk, Chungnam and Daejeon.

“We need to reduce the number of confirmed cases by strengthening social distancing.”

Even the quarantine authorities admit that the medical response capacity has already exceeded its limits. On this day, the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s central quarantine countermeasures headquarters (Bangdaebon) announced that the incidence rate of patients in the metropolitan area for the past week (November 28 to December 4) was ‘111.2%’ compared to the medical response capacity of the metropolitan area. Just the previous week alone, it was 89.5%, and the situation worsened sharply within a week.

Sang-won Bang, head of the Epidemiological Investigation and Analysis Division, said, “It means that the ability to respond to critically ill patients is already full in the metropolitan area. Accordingly, Bangdaebon maintained the risk level at ‘very high’ in both the nation and the metropolitan area.

On the 6th, in front of the temporary screening station installed in the Plaza of Seoul Station, citizens waiting in a long line to be tested for COVID-19. By Hong In-ki

As the number of new confirmed cases of 5,000 per day has been steadily increasing recently, this trend is unlikely to be broken for the time being. Experts agreed that even if the speed of the third vaccination is increased, the effect of reducing the number of critically ill patients through this will only appear next year, and for this reason, there is a limit to securing beds through an administrative order. Choi Won-seok, a professor of infectious disease at Korea University Ansan Hospital, said, “In the end, the number of patients should be reduced.

Im So-hyung reporter

.

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Pinterest
Pocket
WhatsApp

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.